Holiday Food Drive Helps City Harvest
Did you know more than 1.5 million New Yorkers don’t know where their next meal is coming from? And half a million children in New York City are experiencing severe hunger? Emergency food pantries and soup kitchens citywide are running out of food. To combat this hunger crisis, the Daily News and Radio 103.9 have joined forces in the 32nd Annual Daily News Holiday Food Drive to help City Harvest help our hungry neighbors.
At the launch of this year’s drive, Daily News CEO Bill Holiber said, “Many New Yorkers continue to struggle to put food on the table. I hope we can repeat and possibly even surpass the amount of food we collected last year.”
This year’s drive runs through January 16, 2015 and the goal is 1 million pounds of food!
DROP OFF NON-PERISHABLE FOODS AT THESE LOCATIONS THROUGH JANUARY 16:
– Any FDNY Station
– Any NYPD Precinct
– Municipal Credit Union Branches citywide
– Any Goodwill Store citywide
– City Harvest Lobby at 6 East 32nd Street
NON-PERISHABLE FOODS NEEDED:
– Canned Tuna, Salmon or Chicken
– Canned or Dried Soups
– Canned Stews and Chili
– Canned Fruits (In Juice not Heavy Syrup)
– Canned Vegetables and Beans
– Canned Tomato Sauce
– Canned Pasta Meals
– Packaged Pasta Meals like Mac & Cheese or Hamburger Helper
– Whole Grain Pasta
– Brown or White Rice
– Dried Fruits
– Peanut Butter (Plastic Jars)
– Jelly (Plastic Jars)
– Powdered or Shelf-Stable Milk
– Hot and Cold Packaged Cereal (Family Sized)
– Granola and Cereal Bars
– Fruit Juice (Plastic Jars or Cans)
– Ground or Instant Coffee, Tea Bags and Hot Chocolate (Sugar Free)
– Mayonnaise, Mustard, Ketchup (Plastic Jars)
– Baby Food and Cereals
– Baby Formula
WANT TO FEED A FAMILY OF FOUR FOR A DAY? DROP OFF THESE ITEMS:
– Breakfast: Box of cereal or oatmeal; dried fruit; powdered milk; 100% fruit juice.
– Lunch: Tuna, peanut butter, or soup; canned vegetables; canned fruit.
– Dinner: Any canned protein (i.e. beef stew, chicken), or meat sauce; macaroni & cheese, pasta or rice; canned fruit or applesauce.
CITY KIDS CAN HELP TOO!
All participating NYC Public Schools will be automatically entered into the Kids Can Help Competition now through January 16th. Learn more at www.cityharvest.org/donate-food/food-drives.